Open Water Swimming is one of the fastest growing mass participation sports. The National Open Water Coaching Association (NOWCA) was launched in 2010 to help improve safety standards at open water swimming venues around Great Britain.
NOWCA now has a growing community of swimmer members and annual self-certified venues.
NOWCA produced the first ever Open Water Coaching award for coaches. The open water coaching education programme is available to anyone with the prerequisite qualifications.
NOWCA recognises all other body qualifications and is developing a coaching directory and channel for any coaches to find clients wishing to swim from pool to open water and coach in safe environments (find a coach)
- NOWCA ensures the highest standards of safety, coaching and facilities at NOWCA certified venues; attracting new and existing open water swimmers through reassurance of the quality of service they can expect to experience.
- Provides information and services related to Open Water Swimming via the NOWCA website; incorporating dedicated web pages for NOWCA venues and login pages for all swimmer members.
- Provides many membership benefits to swimmers and venues, encouraging the growth of open water swimming.
- Facilitates the running of a free weekly 400meter NOWCA Swim Event at participating venues across Britain, utilising the NOWCA safety management system to time the participants and log results.
- Provides provision for discounted rates of insurance for open water swimming and coaching for members.
The NOWCA safety and timing wristband has 4 key functions
- Swimmer Safety: The system enables venue and open water operators to have up to the second details of exactly who is in the water at any one time. In the case of an emergency a swimmers personal details and medical history can be accessed immediately.
- NOWCA National Open Water Swimming: The system enables swim data for all swimmers to be recorded and sent via email straight after their swim and added to their personal login dashboard.
- NOWCA Swim: A FREE weekly 400metre swims at every NOWCA venue. Bringing new swimmers into open water, helping existing swimmers to log their progress. Creating local and national ranking.
- Race Recording: The system can be used to set up timing for any type of race and capture this data including for:- open water swims, aquathlons, triathlons, lap training and much more. All in addition to the NOWCA National 400metre Swim event.
Daily Data Capture: All swimmers who have clocked ‘in' and ‘out’ of the water enable everyone involved with NOWCA access to valuable usage data such as numbers, age categories, gender, times swam, speed, calories, distance, ranking and much more..